Is Danger Ahead in Your Relationship?
When beginning a new relationship, sometimes the excitement of going out with someone you really like stops you from seeing the warning signs of abuse. Remember, you don’t have to have broken bones or a black eye to be abused. You may be experiencing emotional abuse, which could turn into physical abuse.
Warning Signs of Abuse
Are you going out with someone who…
- Is jealous and possessive toward you, won’t let you have friends, checks up on you, won’t accept breaking up.
- Tries to control you by being very bossy, giving orders, making all the decisions, doesn’t take your opinion seriously.
- Is scary! You worry about how they will react to things you say or do. Threatens you, uses or owns weapons.
- Is violent, has a history of fighting, loses temper quickly, brags about mistreating others.
- Pressures you for sex, is forceful or scary around sex. Thinks women or girls are sex objects. Attempts to manipulate or guilt-trip you by saying, “If you really loved me you would…” Gets too serious about the relationship too fast.
- Abuses drugs or alcohol and pressures you to take them.
- Blames you when they mistreat you. Says you provoked them, pressed their buttons, made them do it, led them on.
- Has a history of bad relationships and blames the other person for all the problems. “Girls just don’t understand me.”
- Believes that men should be in control and powerful and that women should be passive and submissive.
- Has hit, pushed, choked, restrained, kicked, or physically abused you.
- Your family and friends have warned you about the person or told you they were worried for your safety.
If any of these warning signs are present in your relationship, it is very important to talk with someone you trust NOW, or Contact Us for advice and/or referral information.